Hlavní stránka


Informaèní portál mìsta Ivanèice
 

ENGLISH

Town Ivancice

If you try to imagine yourself travelling 800 years back in time when having a walk through Ivancice, you might be surprised by the size and splendour of one of the most significant royal towns in Moravia.

The former market place, which was created on the crossing of business routes and at the same time on the confluence of three rivers Oslava, Jihlava and Rokytna, was around 1212 declared a town. It had stone town walls with three gates and a moat, a Gothic castle and fortified basilica once existed there. Then hard times came to the town, it was plundered several times, the worst was in 1304 by the Hungarian Kumans. In 1424 the town was conquered by the Hussites and Ivancice became their base for the next 10 years. In contrast the most glorious time of the town dates back to the 16th and 17th centuries, when Ivancice became a significant centre of Unitas Fratrum. Ivancice school, generously sponsored by Karel the Elder of Zerotin, belongs to one of the most famous Czech Brothers institutions - perhaps thanks to the fact, that significant scholars worked there. One of them was the Czech humanist Jan Blahoslav, who translated from the Greek original to the Czech language The New Testament and his work is still recognised as a pearl of Czech mediaeval literature. Established in Ivancice was also the Czech Brothers printing press, later it was moved to Kralice, where in a Gothic stone fortress the Bible Kralická, the first Czech printed bible, first saw the light of day.

A dominant feature of Ivancice is without a doubt the Gothic parish Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary with high tower, finished by a unique Renaissance top with gallery. In the nearby House of the noblemen of Lipa with corner oriel and a rich architectural decoration from the 17th century is the Exhibition Hall of the Town Museum, which is a part of the Brno-Environs District Museum. The large local Jewish population (in 1791 Jews accounted for 20% of the total population) is reminded by a Synagogue from 1853 and a Jewish Cemetery with the oldest tombstone dating from 1552. Also worth mentioning is the Neo-Gothic pilgrimage chapel of St. Jacobi on the hill northeast from the town, to which leads the Way of the Cross with 14 stations. The most valuable monuments are found in the town's urban preservation zone. A St. Peter and Paul's church from the half of 12 th century in Reznovice, Baroque Marian sculptural group of 1726, many historical houses, an interesting technical monument – a railway viaduct over the river Jihlava of 1872 (height 42m) can be also seen here. Southeast of Ivancice lies Reznovice and Hrubsice.

Amongst the most famous Ivancice countrymen belong the Art-Nouveau painter Alfons Mucha (1860 - 1939), to the world expert public known Quido Adler (1855 - 1934), co-founder of modern musicology, and finally actor Vladimír Menšík (1929 - 1988). Displayed in the Ivancice Cultural Information Centre is a permanent exhibition of his life and work.

Now it is modern city with about 9500 inhabitants with primary, secondary and high schools and a training centre. Rich cultural life (Asparagus festival in May, Ivanèice pilgrimage, fairy forest June, European Heritage Days in September etc. Visit of a memorial of Alfons Mucha and a permanent exposition of folk storyteller Vladimír Menšík is recommended to all visitors of he city.

Beautiful landscape with its rivers, forests and ponds invites to undertake many romantic trips by foot and on bicycles as well.


High standard accommodation in IVANCICE

DEUTSCH

Stadt Ivancice (Eibenschütz)

Die Stadt zählt mit angeschlossenen Gemeinden von Budkovice, Hrubšice und Øeznovice 9,5 Tsd. Einwohner. Sie gehört zu den ältesten Städten in Mähren. Ihre Gründung fällt in die Zeit der Herrschaft des Markgrafen Vladislav Jindøich von 1196-1222. Das größte Aufblühen erlebte die Stadt im 16. Jh., als sie die siebt- oder achtgrößte Stadt in Mähren war. Der Weinbau war früher eine große Quelle.

Die Stadt liegt am Zusammenlauf von drei Flüssen – Jihlava, Oslava und Rokytná auf einer wichtigen Kreuzung historischer Handelswege. Auf dem Talriegel Réna befand sich im 9. Jh. eine großmährische Burgstätte.

Die erste schriftliche Erwähnung über die Stadt stammt aus dem Jahre 1221. In 1228 wurde sie zur königlichen Stadt. Seit jeher existierte hier das Judenviertel. Das älteste Grabmal auf dem jüdischen Friedhof stammt aus dem Jahre 1548.
Der Bischof der Mährischen Brüder Jan Blahoslav wirkte hier von 1558 bis zu seinem Tode in 1571. Dank den Werken wie Musica, Tschechische Grammatik, Übersetzung des Neuen Testaments usw. wurde die Stadt zum damaligen Zentrum der mährischen Kultur. Die Stadt wurde mehrmals geplündert, im 12., 14. und 17. Jh. Die Pest im 17. Jh. vernichtete die meisten Einwohner. Im Jahre 1866 wurde hier die Ackerbauschule, in 1892 die Schule für Taubstumme und in 1919 das Gymnasium gegründet. Im Jahre 1860 wurde hier der berühmte Maler Alfons Mucha und in 1929 der bekannte Schauspieler Vladimír Menšík geboren. Beneš Metod Kulda (1820 – 1903) war der erste Sammler und Verleger von mährischen Volksmärchen. Die romanische St. Peter-und-St. Paul-Kirche im Ortsteil Øeznovice aus der Hälfte des 12. Jhs. zählt zu den wertvollsten Denkmälern. Eine gotische Kirche mit Prismenturm dominiert dem Stadtplatz von Ivanèice. In der Mitte steht eine Pestsäule, das Renaissancegebäude des Alfons-Mucha-Denkmals und demgegenüber das Rathaus – das ehemalige Haus der Herren von Lipá. Als Erinnerung an die Mährischen Brüder blieben hier der Kapellenturm, das Gebäude ihrer Akademie und archäologische Ausgrabungen. Der Eisenbahnviadukt über dem Fluss Jihlava aus dem Jahre 1870 (Höhe 42 m) wurde zu einem technischen Denkmal.

Das Spargelfest im Mai und die Kirchweih Ende Juli zählen zu den größten Veranstaltungen. Das hiesige Haus für Kinder und Jugend organisiert Anfang Juni den sog. Märchenwald.